We love this type of "underground" projects... Before it was our litescalpel (posted in this blog), now we have this hybrid Klein/Cndl by BCB, a funny and surprising project that started when we involved the wife of one of our customers and friends... We knew how much Robert loved his Palomino, he had put lots of miles on it, and then stored the frame in a dark and hiden corner in his garage. He couldn't sell it, of course it is not the type of things that you do with your wedding presents coming from your wife, but when a new frame came to home, he couldn't avoid to cannibalize the parts needed to assemble the new "plastic" acquisition. Has passed some years and the frame has been there all this time, the old Palomino appeared from time to time in some discussions over the table during many Sunday afterride brunches...
After "stealing" the frame with the help of Anna (Robert's wife), and decide a tight budget, we started the process to have ready the bike for a new anniversary present... Isn't it funny? the same gift in a disguise!!
We had clear what we wanted to do, so:
- Frame preparation: V-brake pivots shaved, rear disc brake mount welded instead bolted, headtube comming from a Cannondale donor frame that was broken time ago and was laying in the workshop with a thick layer of dust, new monolink coming from Maverick with bearings instead bushings, refreshed rear shock with cleaning, new oil and new seal.
- Fork: fatty ultra refurbished with a brand new cartridge (the one assembled in the broken donor frame).
- "Mission Control" XXI century :-) Cannondale steem mitered and welded to a Kore light OS handlebar.
- CK hubs on FRM tubular rims and tufos front and rear.
- Hope mini pro brakes
- 2x9 transmission (SRAM + FRM 36 cog + Stork Powerarms with Titanium White Industries spindle)
- Easton EC90 seatpost with SDG I fly titanium saddle.
Everything topped with a fantastic GATOR paint job (to me the best ever in the classic Kleins).
The nice thing here is that the whole thing was quite cheap at the end, since we had most of the parts used in the project around, and are refurbished/second hand items. The only stuff is brand new and specifically bought for the project are:
- Spokes and nipples (DT revolution and alloy nipples)
- Pedals (CB Candy)
- Cables and hoses
- Maverick Monolink
- FRM 36 tooth cog
- Fresh GATOR paint
This project has come true thanks to:
- Tomas Perezagua (ALKON)
- Aimar Fraga (AMARO)
- Click&Run (Paint job)
- Maverik USA
P.S: By the way, Robert and Anna were absolutely amazed when they saw the result... Isn't it lovely?